Saturday, September 12, 2015

Southwestern Utah Blooms

A friend of mine who is a journalist for a southwestern Utah newspaper asked me to submit a selection of my desert florals for consideration to be included in an article he is writing, highlighting four Utah landscape/nature photographers who live in southwestern Utah.  When I didn't respond, he contacted me and said since we own a home in southern Utah and spend part of the year there, that according to him, (and he makes the rules), I qualify.  I don't usually do stuff like this, but decided to honor his request.  Below are the images and the 'photographer's statement' I sent.

 Circle Dance

 Sunshine Shower

 Dancing in the Rain

 Beauty Among the Weeds

 Spotlight Please

 Stick 'em Up .....We've Got You Covered!

"My floral images are usually alive with vivid color, are busy rather than calm, and most always have unique lighting and/or interesting backgrounds.  Rarely do I place my macro flowers on a plain white or black backdrop, because this is too common or boring to me.  Instead, I try to fill the frame with unique and interesting elements that add information, such as the time of day, or unusual weather conditions, or dramatic lighting conditions, (I’m a big fan of sun flare and bokeh), that visually give the viewer a sense of how my subject flower fits into the scene around it.  While I most always have a main subject, I also try to have secondary subjects or additional points of interest that will attract the viewer’s attention.  I want to entice viewers to enjoy and stay involved with my image as long as possible!  My philosophy is that the longer an image can hold a viewer’s interest and attention, the more value it has for that person."  

13 comments:

Nancy J said...

I can see why you had that request, and Dancing in the rain is my pick, beautiful with the light from underneath. Every one a true winner.

Stephanie said...

These are stunningly beautiful, Karen. I can understand why he asked you. All beautifully composed.

MadSnapper said...

can you hear me clapping? standing ovation.. these are AMAZING... i LOVE them ALL.... and you have the gift for picking the backgrounds.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

These images are ALL BRILLIANT

Linda W. said...

Simply gorgeous images, all of them!

Unknown said...

Karen, brilliant!! Such wonderful images!

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Beautiful images, Karen. Great selection for the publication!

Barb said...

Your philosophy resonates with me. All these photos are dynamic and tell a story. I can't pick a favorite!

Gail said...

Send to visit by Madsnapper.

These are amazing photos. I can learn much from you.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Each of these photos is worthy of being used for an article and even more so to be hung on a wall.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I love the color in that second shot (plus I love bees)

you-wee because said...

What an enchanting collection of your Utah blossoms, beautifully captured, Karen!
Enjoy a great new week!
Uwe.

Anonymous said...

you filled me with joy with your awesome shots. I am thinking that number 1 photo image is my favorite today!
Hugs