- Summarize a large amount of information so as to be readable, understandable and doable for those of us with no experience in studio photography.
- Condense that information to put in the small format of a blog post.
- Give specifics rather than general information so we feel we can actually do this and have a starting place.
- And my biggest challenge, is this is a Tech Talk Tuesday where I'm the teacher and the student at the same time. So, the following will be my biggest disclaimer ever!!! I profess no expertise whatsoever in setting up or using a home photography studio. I am, however, in the process of doing research, taking classes, and interviewing people with home studios, as groundwork for setting up my own home studio, and I'm happy to 'bring you along' and share what I learn.
- Finding and determining adequate space, and preparation of that space
- Basic lighting equipment and support equipment and where to find it
- Backdrops and props, and great ways to save money and be creative
- Understanding how to actually operate your lighting equipment to produce your desired effect
For someone who is learning while I'm writing, this seems like a pretty tall mountain to climb. But, I'm always encouraging beginning photographers that their abilities will grow when they stretch and get out of their comfort zone, so I guess I'll take my own advice! So if you are willing to learn along with me, next week we'll dig into specifics and talk about finding space in your home for photography, and how to prepare that space. (And for those of you who've dismissed the idea of a home studio because you don't think you have enough space, check back next week because you might be surprised!)
See you next Tuesday, and I'll leave you with another studio portrait taken at the class I recently attended. Notice the beautiful soft shadows studio lights produce on her face. (But remember, studio lighting is not just for portraits. It's also for macro photography, product photography, still life photography, stock photography and so much more.)