Thursday, July 22, 2010

High Noon at Capitol Reef

Another Image Saved by Modern Technology

This spring we were on a weekend trip with some friends and tried to see too many places in too short a time.  We were at Capitol Reef National Park for only about an hour, and you guessed it,  it was around high noon on a bright sunny day and I only had my point and shoot.  Most of my photos were of our friends and taken just to document our trip, but I really loved the composition of this shot.  I love how the cliffs step back from right to left, the shape of the tree, and how it is framed within the smaller hill.  So with the help of numerous computer programs and techniques, I ended up with this.  No where close to how dramatic this scene would have been around sunset, but not too bad considering what I started with.  (I love Photoshop!) If you want me to take you through what I did to this shot, let me know.  Here is the original:

15 comments:

Dawning Inspiration said...

What a cool knarled/angling tree - and the red rocks are so pretty!

Rick said...

That is a remarkable landscape and you did 'rescue' it from the flatness of the noonday sun - nice job. Some day I must make it back out there. with a large memory card!

Anonymous said...

I would love to know how you touched this photo up. Deanna

diane b said...

Unfortunately I don't have photoshop yet but I'm on a promise for Christmas.
I would still like to hear how you did it.

MadSnapper said...

wowee kazowie what a difference PS made in this one. I am still working on my manual skills using your steps. I am taking your advice and doing it every day, the same thing over and over until I GET it.

Chad said...

I like the composition of the the picture,the tree with the mammoth red cliffs in the background. Most my pictures are taken while traveling at all hours of the day,and I enjoy looking them as much as any. It also doesn't hurt to have Photoshop. PS Scott and I made it to Thanksgiving Point yesterday and had a grat time overdosing on the flowers.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This picture is just georgous. That tree makes the cliffs even more interesting. What a difference in the two photos! I would have thought there was nothing wrong with the first one, till I saw the way you fixed it up even better.

Scott Law said...

You have to have the composition and something of interest to start with and you have developed or were born with the eye for that. Then . . . Oh thank Heaven for Photoshop. What can I say? Great job - as always.

Unknown said...

Sandra sent me the link to your blog, great imagesI will be back to check out your postshope you will visit my blog too Kev fron UK

myonlyphoto said...

Karen, what a view. So much pattern! Great capture. Anna :)

janc@mac.com said...

Yes, I need to attend that photoshop class.

tusen said...

Creation!

tusen said...

What a creation, what a picture!

Dave Cawkwell said...

Isn't modern technology great! You have done a nice rescue job on this photo although the original composition has defiantly been helped by your keen eye for a picture.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a difference. Yes, I'd love to know what you did to bring that color and those textures out--especially the tree.